Financing Study Abroad
Financial aid is defined as any financial assistance in the form of federal and state grants and loans and College of Charleston-issued scholarships a student receives towards educational expenses.
After reviewing the chart, confirm with your financial aid counselor and study abroad advisor what current aid can be applied towards your study abroad program.
A general summary of applicable aid and programs is listed below:
- Federal loans and grants, State grants, and Life and Palmetto Fellow Scholarships, and Foundation Scholarships can be used for approved semester and year long study abroad programs (College of Charleston administered, exchange programs, and affiliate programs).
- In addition to the above mentioned aid, College of Charleston Scholarships, College of Charleston Academic Scholarships, and Foundation Scholarships can be used for College of Charleston faculty-led semester and exchange programs where students are charged their normal tuition. (See CIE regarding the use of Presidential for affiliate programs).
We encourage students to apply to the various scholarship opportunities available including those offered by the Center for International Education, the School of Languages, Cultures and World Affairs (LCWA), affiliate programs, and federally-funded awards. To learn more please visit our scholarship opportunities page.
Other Sources of Aid
- Institute of International Education Study Abroad Funding
- International Education Financial Aid
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Bridging Foundation
The CIE encourages students to estimate the costs of their proposed study abroad program, and discuss it with all parties contributing financially to their program. Planning ahead allows students to get the most out of their study abroad experience. In order to help you plan, we have created a worksheet to help you estimate costs associated with your program and identify your sources of funding. Please consult your respective program's website to find out your program fees.
- Download the Study Abroad Cost Worksheet