Current F-1 Students

In order to study at the College of Charleston, you had to obtain an I-20 from our institution and then apply for an F-1 visa. Now that you are studying at the College, you need to make sure you maintain your legal status.

As an F-1 student, you are admitted to the U.S. in F-1 status for a period known as "duration of status," or (D/S). It is extremely important for a Non-immigrate to maintain his or her status while in the U.S. Failure to maintain the terms and conditions of nonimmigrant status is grounds for termination of a student's SEVIS record.

First, immigration regulations require new students to report to the College of Charleston's Center for International Education (CIE) within the first two weeks of the start of classes. If a student fails to report, he/she will be considered "out of status." In addition to reporting to the CIE, students must following the rules and guidelines outlined below.

  • Maintain a passport that is valid at least six months into the future
  • Attend the school you are authorized to attend
  • Remain in the United States for no longer than 60 days after completing the full course of study, unless prior to that time the student has followed procedures for applying for optional practical training (OPT), moving educational levels, or school transfer
  • Update any changes to your local address or phone number via MyCharleston within 10 days of the change
  • Report a change in your legal name or dependent's legal name to the CIE within 10 days of this action occurring
  • Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours a week while school is in session
  • Not work off-campus without authorization (click here for more information)
  • Pursue a full course of study and make normal progress towards the completion of the course of study before the expiration of the program completion date on the College of Charleston issued I-20

Full course of study and full-time study, except during the summer school breaks, are defined as follows:

  • Undergraduates - 12 credits per semester
  • Graduates - 6 credits per semester

Students can only enroll in one online course for up to 3 credits per semester that can count towards their full-time enrollment.

Please note that a student who drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO will be considered out of status.

If a student has any special circumstances, always seek the advice of the CIE on the maintenance of F-1 status immediately .

Remember it is ultimately your responsibility to maintain your immigration status.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a web-based system for maintaining information on international students and exchange visitors in the United States. It is administered by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), a division of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

For complete information about SEVIS, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services SEVIS website .

Department of Homeland Security regulations require students in F-1 status to complete their program by the Program End Date listed under the Program of Study information on page one of an I-20.

If students will not be able to complete their current program by the expected completion date because of valid academic or medical reasons, they must apply for a Program Extension with the CIE before the expected completion date.

Students must bring in the following documents:

  1. I-20 and I-94 print out
  2. Passport
  3. Financial documentation showing that student can meet the cost of the additional time needed to complete the program
  4. Program Extension Form completed by the student and faculty/academic advisor

Upon approval of the extension petition, the student will receive a new I-20.

Students who have failed to maintain their F-1 student status are entitled to apply to the USCIS to ask to be reinstated (returned) to student status. Please note that a student who has been out of status for more than 5 months is ineligible for reinstatement.

When students show clearly that the violation of the rules happened for reasons beyond their control or that the violation was merely technical and not serious, the USCIS is more inclined to forgive the violation and return the student to proper status.

Students can also be reinstated if they can show that failure to regain status would result in serious hardship.

Students should request to meet with the Center for International Education staff to proceed with their reinstatement request.

Grace Period

If you are an F-1 Student and have completed your program of study, you have 60 days to leave the United States, apply for a change of status, or transfer to another school.

After your F-1 OPT expires, you have 60 days to leave the United States, apply for a change of status, or transfer to another school.

International students maintaining valid F-1 status may transfer to the College of Charleston from another U.S. Service approved school by following the transfer procedures set forth in the regulations.

Simply transferring academically from one school to another does not transfer a student's F-1 status unless the student and DSO follow the federal regulations surrounding the transfer process. The transfer process, however, does not require government adjudication. Rather, it is a notification process that takes place as an update event in SEVIS with the active participation of the student, the "transfer out" school, and the "transfer in" school.

Transfer Process
  • Student must inform the DSO at current school ("transfer out") of intention to transfer and provide the DSO with the complete name of our university: College of Charleston.
  • DSO at transfer-out school will need to release SEVIS record to the College of Charleston.
  • A release date will be set for the College of Charleston to access a student's transfer record. However, if the transfer-out school determines that the students has failed to maintain status, or if the SEVIS record indicates that the students is not in active status, then a release date cannot be set, and the transfer cannot proceed.
  • Once a student's record has been released in SEVIS (with a release date), the College of Charleston will then issue the SEVIS document.

Transfer Deadlines

If a student completes a course of study (or OPT), the student is eligible for transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period. Failure to transfer during the 60-day grace period will result in the loss of your F-1 student visa status and you will be considered "out of status".

In addition, the start date at the transfer-in school must be within 5 months following the release date set by the transfer-out school, or within 5 months of the program completion date in SEVIS, whichever date is earlier. This means that a student can remain in the United States for nor more than 5 months between completing at the transfer-out school and beginning at the transfer-in school (granted the transfer was initiated in SEVIS within 60-days of the completion of program or OPT).

Arrival at the College of Charleston:

Upon arriving at the College, all new students, including transfer students, are required to bring the following documents to the Center for International Education at the Multicultural Center within 15-days of arrival (failure to do so will result in the termination of your F-1 student status):

  • I-20 from the College of Charleston
  • Passport with F-1 visa
  • Form I-94 (arrival/departure record) or print off of I-94 record

Please note that failure to check-in with CIE within 15 days of the begin date of classes will result in the termination of your F-1 student status. The transfer process is not complete until you check-in at CIE.

International students at the College are frequently interested in pursuing on-campus or off-campus employment. Employment benefits available to international students may include a job on the College of Charleston campus, off-campus employment (an internship of Co-op experience), or Optional Practical Training following graduation.

Students should be very familiar with the immigration requirements and deadlines to ensure their ability to take advantage of the benefit of working in the United States.

Working On-Campus

International students in F-1 status are eligible to begin working on-campus at the start of their first semester at the College. Students seeking on-campus positions should use the Career Center’s on-line job board to apply for on-campus work opportunities. To view available job opportunities, log into Handshake which is located on your "Student Services" tab in MyCharleston and filter by on-campus, part-time jobs. You may also contact departments directly to inquire about open positions.

On-campus work does not require DSO approval. However, students are required to possess a US Social Security card and number to work at the College. After being offered a position, the student should contact us to complete a Social Security Number Request form to take to the local Social Security office to obtain their card. The card takes 10-14 days to arrive and students may not begin working until they establish their eligibility to work by providing the Career Center at the College with the necessary required documents at a new student employee orientation.

General Guidelines and Limitations

All on-campus work is treated the same for the 20 hours per week limit; e.g., a teaching assistant working 15 hours per week can only work 5 additional hours per week in another on-campus job. On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the school library, and administrative offices.

Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. During school breaks, international students may work up to 40 hours per week on-campus.

Employment is "incident to status," and does not require DSO or USCIS approval. Students temporarily attending two institutions concurrently may work only on the campus of the institution that issued their SEVIS Form.

A student may not engage in on-campus employment during the 60-day grace period following the completion of a course of study or thereafter, expect for employment authorized for OPT.

Off-Campus Employment

An international student who has been enrolled full-time at the College of Charleston for one full academic year may be eligible to work off-campus in work which is directly related to his/her program of study. USCIS student regulations call this Curricular Practical Training (CPT) which should not be confused with Optional Practical Training (the 12 months of employment authorization available following graduation from CofC). Note: Use of full-time CPT for one year or more eliminates eligibility for OPT.

The regulations at 8 CFR 214.2 (f)(10)(i) define curricular practical training as "alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."

Curricular practical training is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least nine consecutive months. In most cases, curricular practical training will not be authorized if it results in a work commitment of more than twenty hours/week while a student is enrolled in classes.

Eligibility / Application Process

The requirements to be eligible for Curricular Practical Training are:

  • The student must have been in full-time status for at least 9 consecutive months
  • The student must be in good academic standing, making normal progress
  • Students may engage in Curricular Practical Training only for the specific employer location and period approved and recorded by the DSO in SEVIS
  • Duration of Curricular Practical depends on the specific period granted by the DSO. It may be granted in increments of no more than one year
  • Curricular Practical Training can be approved for part-time (20 hours or less) or full-time (over 20) hours
  • Employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum, in the student's course of study
  • Student must obtain a written recommendation from the academic advisor that the student is authorized for the training in question
  • Student must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular practical training
  • Use of full-time Curricular Practical Training for one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training
  • Student must receive written authorization from DSO, who records authorization in SEVIS and issues SEVIS I-20 with notation, before work begins
  • Student must continue to maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment
  • Student must either earn academic credit through an internship or independent study course for their major

To apply, please review the CPT handout .

Optical Practical Training

Students are eligible for OPT only after completing one year of full-time courses. Students may submit an application for optional practical training (OPT) up to 90 days prior to their graduation date. Application of OPT after graduation is not permitted. Students granted optional practical training receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card). Currently, it is taking approximately three months for USCIS to process OPT applications and mail EAD cards.

To apply for practical training and to learn more about OPT, please review the OPT handout .

"Concurrent Enrollment" means that a student is enrolled in two places at the same time. An international student may be given permission to engage in Concurrent Enrollment provided the student meets the following USCIS requirements:

  • Combined enrollment amounts to a full course of study
  • The student has been granted permission from a faculty advisor to enroll at another college (advisor must sign Concurrent Enrollment Form)
  • Must receive written approval from DSO at the Center for International Education
  • The student is making normal progress at the College of Charleston and is not in danger of probation or disqualification
  • The coursework at the other school is not a vocational and will be accepted for fulfilling degree requirements at the College


  • Obtain a "concurrent enrollment approval letter" from the College of Charleston International Student Advisor
  • Mail or fax a copy of the Registration Form of the other college to the International Office during the first week of classes: 843.953.7663
  • Provide proof of completion of course work done at the other college/university BEFORE the next quarter

Travel and Re-entry into the United States:
International students at the College planning to travel outside the United States should always consult with the CIE before leaving the country.


  • Students must have a valid travel signature on the 2nd page of their I-20. Signatures are valid for 12 months unless the student is on OPT and then the signature is valid for only 6 months.
  • Students are encouraged to carry official transcripts, latest financial documents and enrollment verification as some students have been asked to provide these documents at the port of entry
  • Always carry your passport and valid immigration documents for domestic or international travel; passports should be valid for at least six months into the future
  • For student on OPT you must carry your EAD card and proof of employment such as a letter from your employer and copies of your pay stubs.

Since Mexico and Canada share land borders with the U.S., many students may not think of inquiring about entry requirements in advance. Please not that Mexico and Canada have distinct entry requirements, which must be investigated by students and their families just like any other country.

Rules Regarding a Temporary Absence

If you remain continuously registered for a full course of study with the College, but must travel outside the United States, you are permitted to reenter the U.S. after a "temporary absence" of five months or less using:

  • Your current SEVIS ID if the back page is properly signed for travel by CIE, or
  • A new school's SEVIS ID if you will enter a school other than the College of Charleston when you return (see the transfer page for complete information on this process)

If You Are Outside of the U.S. for Longer Than a Temporary Absence

After a period of more than five months outside of the U.S., you are considered gone for longer than a temporary absence. Your current SEVIS ID will be invalid and you must request a new SEVIS ID to return to the College, or reenter on a new school's SEVIS ID if you will attend a school other than the College of Charleston when you return.

Travel on Post Completion OPT

An F-1 student with an unexpired EAD issued for post completion practical training and who is otherwise admissible may re-enter the U.S. to resume employment after a temporary absence. The EAD must be shown in combination with a SEVIS ID endorsed for travel and re-entry by the DSO within the last 6 months.

Important: If you are outside the U.S. for a period of more than 5 months you will not be permitted to reenter on your current SEVIS ID. Therefore, you will be ineligible for off-campus employment until after you have maintained a full course of study for another 9 consecutive months.

The College of Charleston has its own international student health insurance plan that all international students will enroll in and pay for which will provide coverage for the duration of studies at the College of Charleston. As this cost is outlined on your Certificate of Finance and is a requirement of the College you will need to plan your expenses accordingly.

You can learn more about enrolling in or waiving out of the CofC health insurance plan here

The College of Charleston offers the professionally staffed Student Health Services to provide treatment for basic medical conditions. They do not, however, conduct major surgery, treat major illnesses or provide overnight care. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Twenty-four hour care is available at several nearby hospitals. For life-threatening emergencies dial 843.953.5611 if on campus or 911 anywhere else in the United States.

Does someone who is a resident alien qualify for the payment? (Added May 6,2020)

A person who is a non-resident alien in 2020 is not eligible for the Payment. A person who is a qualifying resident alien with a valid SSN is eligible for the Payment only if he or she is a qualifying resident alien in 2020 and could not be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer for 2020. Aliens who received a Payment but are not qualifying resident aliens for 2020 should return the Payment to the IRS.

What should I do to return an Economic Impact Payment (EIP)? (Added May 6, 2020)

You should return the payment as described below.

If the payment was a paper check:

  1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
  2. Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
  3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
  4. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check. 

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

1.       Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.

2.       Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.

3.       Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.

Source: Sprintax

Who must file tax forms for 2021 tax season?

Even if you did not earn any income, if you were physically in the US on F or J status anytime between January 1st – December 31st 2021, you’re obligated to file a Form 8843 with the IRS (the Internal Revenue Service, or ‘IRS’, are the US tax authorities).

Meanwhile, if you earned any taxable US source income, you may need to file a federal tax return with the IRS. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may also need to file a state tax return(s).

Tax Filing Deadline:

April 18, 2022 is the last day for residents and nonresidents who earned US income to file Federal tax returns for the 2021 tax year.

Who is considered Resident or Nonresident for Federal Tax Purposes:

Generally, most international students & scholars who are on F, J, M or Q visas are considered nonresidents for tax purposes. International students on J-1 & F-1 visas are automatically considered nonresident for their first five calendar years in the US, whilst Scholars/Researchers on J visas are automatically considered nonresidents for two out of the last six calendar years in the US. If you’ve been in the US for longer than the five or two year periods, the Substantial Presence Test will determine your tax residency.

How to File:

Generally, most international students & scholars who are on F, J, M or Q visas are considered nonresidents for tax purposes. International students on J-1 & F-1 visas are automatically considered nonresident for their first five calendar years in the US, whilst Scholars/Researchers on J visas are automatically considered nonresidents for two out of the last six calendar years in the US.

If you’ve been in the US for longer than the five or two year periods, the Substantial Presence Test will determine your tax residency.

We have teamed up with Sprintax to provide you with an easy-to-use tax preparation software designed for nonresident students and scholars in the US.

We (and all other university staff) are not qualified or allowed to provide individual tax advice.

After you login to Sprintax, you will be asked a series of questions about the time you have spent in the US over recent years. Sprintax will then determine your tax status. If it determines that you are a “nonresident alien” (NRA) for federal tax purposes, you can continue to use the software and respond to a series of guided  questions. Sprintax will then complete and generate the tax forms you need to send to the tax authorities.

However, if Sprintax determines that you are a resident alien for federal tax purposes, you won’t be able to continue using the software.

Step by Step guide on How to File Your Nonresident Tax Forms (F and J)

1. Gather the documents you may need for Sprintax




Visa/Immigration information, including form I-20 (F status) or form DS-2019 (J status)

Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have one)

This is not needed if you had no income and the 8843 is the only form you have to file.



This form reports your wage earnings if you worked. If you had more than one employer you should get a W-2 from each employer. It is issued by the end of January for the previous year. Make sure all employers from last year have an up-to-date address for you.



This form is used to report:

  1. stipend, scholarship, fellowship income and travel grants (not tuition reduction or exemption)
  2. income covered by a tax treaty
  3. payment for other types of services (eg by the semester as a note-taker)

If you received this type of income, the 1042-S will be mailed to you by 15 March by the payer.

Note: Only Nonresident Aliens receive this form. If your tax status changes to a Resident Alien you will not get a 1042-S. Login to Sprintax to check your tax status if you're not sure.

US entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the US

In addition to passport stamps, you can review or print your US travel history here



This form reports miscellaneous income. Can be interest on bank accounts, stocks, bonds, dividends, earning through freelance employment


This form is NOT needed and can NOT be used for a nonresident tax return because NRAs are not eligible to claim education expense tax credits.

2. Create a Sprintax Account:

You will receive an email from the Center for International Education providing you with a link to Sprintax to set up your account as well as your unique code to use on Sprintax. This unique code will cover the costs of the federal tax return and 8843 at no cost to you. Open your new Sprintax account by creating a UserID and password or if you have an existing account on Sprintax you can login using your existing credentials.

If you have not received an email from the Center for International Education, please email

3. Follow the Sprintax instructions

If you did not earn any US Income: Sprintax will generate a completed Form 8843 for you and each of your dependents (if you have any).

If you did earn US Income: Sprintax will generate your "tax return documents", including either a 1040NR-EZ or a longer form 1040NR, depending on your circumstances.

4. (With U.S. income only) If required, complete your state tax return

After you finish your federal return, Sprintax will inform you if you need to complete a state tax return. If so, you will have the option to use Sprintax for an additonal fee. However, it is your choice to use them or to do the state tax return on your own.

5. Read the instructions for filing/mailing your returns

Remember to read the instructions that Sprintax provides.

You will be required to download, print and sign your federal tax return and mail it to the IRS. If you have a state filing requirement, you must also mail this to the tax authorities.

Finally, if you only need to file Form 8843, this will also need to be mailed to the IRS.

Need Sprintax Support?

If you need help while using Sprintax, you can contact their support team using the options below

Email -

24/7 Live Chat Help

Refer to their FAQs

Sprintax Educational Tax Videos and Blog:

You also have access to the Sprintax YouTube account where there are a number of educational videos on nonresident taxes. These will provide further clarity on nonresident tax and how to use Sprintax. Sprintax also offer a range of useful content on their blog to help you file your return.

DISCLAIMER: International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) and the school are NOT permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax related questions. The information provided is intended for your benefit. Any questions or concerns should be directed to Sprintax, a certified tax preparer or a local IRS field office.